Applying Smart City and IoT technology in the Lake District National Park
Get paid to do a Masters with the Centre for Global Eco-Innovation at Lancaster University (The Sunday Times' University of the Year 2018) and Mobetrics.
1 Year Enterprise-led Funded Masters by Research, Ref. No. 101
- Get paid £15,000 tax-free
- Have you tuition fees reduced. Your partner company pays £2,000 towards your fees, meaning UK/EU students pay £2,260, and International students pay £15,945.
- Be part of the multi award winning Centre for Global Eco-Innovation with a cohort of 50 talented graduates working on exciting business-led R&D.
- The Centre is based at Lancaster University, so you will gain your Masters from a Top Ten University, recognised as The Sunday Times University of the Year 2018.
- Finish in a strong position to enter a competitive job market in the UK and overseas.
Air pollution is a global threat with an estimated 7 million people dying worldwide from exposure to both indoor and outdoor air pollution every year. One of the most effective measures to mitigate against poor air quality is through temporary restrictions on car use.
Even in urban areas and cities the available data and measurements relating to air quality are at a macro level and are, simply, not granular enough to reliably inform policy, decision making and action at a local level. In a rural setting such as Cumbria and the Lake District the detail of the data is even poorer. This project aims to provide a system of data collection, including citizen science-based options, and visualisation to provide a more granular picture to support real-time and longer term decision-making in order to manage, and reduce, pollution levels locally.
Working with academics in the Management School, the Environment Centre and the company you will work on the development of new ways of aggregating and analysing air quality and traffic flow data from networks of sensors and developing a proof of concept by prototyping and testing the new solutions and demonstrating this to potential end-users and clients.
Candidates with a numerate degree with a scientific leaning and an interest in environmental issues are encouraged to apply.
Enterprise and collaborative partners
Mobetrics is a streamlined mobile technology and app development company based in Cumbria. We specialise in introducing businesses to the opportunities that mobile apps and wearable technology offer them. Put simply, we build apps rapidly and to the highest quality, for IOS, Android and Blackberry.
To apply for this opportunity please email email@example.com with:
This project is part funded by the European Regional development Fund and is subject to confirmation of funding. For further information about the Centre for Global Eco-Innovation, please see our website.
12am (midnight) 18th July 2018
Start: October 2018